A to Z Services and Program Information

To report child or dependent adult abuse, please call 1-800-362-2178.

To report a change to your Medicaid, Food Stamp or FIP case call, please call 1-877-347-5678.

For Child Care payments or registration, please call 1-866-448-4605 or visit the Child Care Public Web Portal.

For questions about your case or to contact your worker, click DHS office map to locate the phone number.

Abuse Registry
  • 1-800-362-2178 toll free

Abuse Reporting


Adoption Investigators (Certified)
  • Licensing Information - for people who conduct home studies to provide adoption services to individuals and families independent of an agency

Adult Abuse
  • 1-800-362-2178 toll free

Adult/Elderly Services
  • Adult Day Care 515-725-1147
  • In-Home Health 515-281-5392

After Care Service Network


Certified Adoption Investigators
  • Licensing Information - people who conduct home studies to provide adoption services to individuals and families independent of an agency

Child Care

Child Placing Agencies
  • Licensing Information for agencies that provide adoption, foster care, and supervised apartment living services

Child Support

Civil Commitment Unit for Sexual Offenders
  • To learn more about the 27/7 facility that provides secure, inpatient treatment for sexual offenders who are believed to be a high risk for sexually re-offending see the CCUSO page.

Commodities/Food Distribution

Community Partnerships for Protecting Children (CPPC)

County Offices
  • To apply for benefits or ask questions, contact your local office. Use the DHS office map to find the office contact information. 

Developmental Disabilities
  • The Iowa Developmental Disabilities Council promotes the development of a coordinated system of services and supports that provide opportunities for people with developmental disabilities to be independent, productive, integrated and included in their communities. To learn more see the Iowa Developmental Disabilities Council’s website.

Disaster Behavioral Health Services


Exceptions to Policy


Family Investment Program (FIP)

Food Assistance

Foster Care

Foster Care Recovery Unit 
  • 1-888-229-9223 toll free or 515-242-5530

Fraud Reporting
  • Report Suspected Welfare Fraud 1-800-831-1394 toll free

Group Foster Care Facilities

hawk-i (Healthy & Well Kids in IA)

Health Care
Imaging Center 1
Iowa Department of Human Services
417 E Kanesville Blvd
Council Bluffs, IA 51503

Home & Community Based Waivers
  • Program Information
  • AIDS/HIV 515-256-4641
  • Brain Injury 515-256-4653
  • Children's Mental Health 515-256-4642
  • Elderly 515-256-4642
  • Ill & Handicapped 515-256-4641
  • Intellectual Disabilities 515-256-4661
  • Physical Disability 515-256-4661
  • To report changes to an existing case:

    Call: 1-877-347-5678
    FAX: 515-564-4041
    Email: IMCustomerSC@dhs.state.ia.us

Hot Lines

Interstate Compact for the Placement of Children
  • 515-281-5730

Interstate Compact for Juveniles

Integrated Claims Recovery Unit
  • P.O. Box 36570, Des Moines, IA 50315
  • Call 877- 855-0021
  • FAX 515-564-4095
  • Email ICRU@dhs.state.ia.us


Juvenile Facilities

Juvenile Justice
  • Delinquency Services 515-242-5452


Medical Assistance / Medicaid

Nursing Facility Care (Medicaid)


Mental Health

PARIS - Public Assistance Reporting Information System
  • P.O. Box 36570, Des Moines, IA 50315
  • Call 877- 855-0021
  • FAX 515-564-4095
  • Email ICRU@dhs.state.ia.us

Promise Jobs

Record Check Evaluations
  • Status Report: 515-362-7440 or 515-362-7441
  • FAX: 515-564-4034

Refugee Services

Runaway Children - Out of State
  • 515-281-3123

Safe Haven for Infants

Social Security Office (Federal Government) 

Special Needs Children

  • Independent Living (Foster Care for 16 and Older) 515-242-5271
  • State Training School for Boys at Eldora 641-858-5402
  • Delinquency, Juvenile Justice Programs - 515-242-5452

Voter Registration
  • See Voter Registration information on the Iowa Secretary of State's website.
  • You can get help registering to vote when you apply for DHS assistance programs.

Waiver Programs


General Information:

If you need further assistance in locating the appropriate office to address your concerns, please call toll free to 800-972-2017.

Relay Iowa TTY 1-800-735-2942

Email: contactdhs@dhs.state.ia.us

HIPAA Information

For changes to this page, please contact contactdhs@dhs.state.ia.us.