Proof of U.S. Citizenship and Identification

Federal Medicaid Law Requires

Proof of U.S. Citizenship and Identification

U.S. citizens who get or apply for Medicaid need to show proof of U.S. citizenship and identity.  In most cases, if you were born in the United States you are a U.S. citizen.


Questions or Need Help?

  • Call us toll-free at 1-877-937-3663 
  • Contact your DHS worker
  • Visit the website at if you need to get a birth certificate from another state


Examples of How to Prove U.S. Citizenship and Identity

Everyone in your home who gets Medicaid* will need to turn in proof of citizenship and identity.  Proof must be an original document. Do not mail original documents -- bring them to the DHS office.

Column A proves both citizenship and identity.  If you do not have a document from column A, then you will need to provide documents from column B.
Column B requires a document from both Part 1 and Part 2 to meet the requirement.


Column A

Column B

Proves both
citizenship & identity

Part 1

Part 2

Proves only citizenship

Proves only identity

  • U.S. Passport, even if expired
  • Certification of Naturalization
    (Form N-550 or N-570)
  • Certification of Citizenship
    (Form N-560 or N-561)
  • Birth Certificate
  • Hospital Birth Record
  • Other Acceptable Proof of Citizenship
  • Drivers License or Department
    of Transportation (DOT) ID card
  • School Photo ID
  • Medical or School Records
    (for children)
  • Military ID or Dependent Card
  • Other Acceptable Proof of ID


Important:  You must provide proof for every U.S. citizen in your family who gets Medicaid*.  Eligibility will not be affected by race, creed, color, national origin, age, disability, political beliefs, religion, or sex, except where it is required by law.

* People in the following categories do not have to turn in proof:

  • individuals who receive SSI, Medicare, or Social Security Disability benefits
  • individuals in foster care or some subsidized adoptions/guardianships
  • individuals who had newborn status from a Medicaid-eligible mother
  • individuals whose citizenship was verified by an automated match with the Social Security Administration.

Use this map to locate your county DHS office or phone number

Resources for Obtaining Citizenship Documents

Vital Statistics Web Sites - provides links to state vital statistics Web sites, where detailed information is available on how to obtain a birth certificate, including costs and where to write or call for more information in each state.   Click here to download a PDF of this information.

Obtaining a Passport - provides information on applying for a passport

Born Abroad - provides information on obtaining a copy of a Certification of Birth Abroad

Lost Certificates of Citizenship or Naturalization - provides information on obtaining a replacement copy of a Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization

Forms to request military records and other information can be found on the Polk County Recorder's web site