Iowa States Medicaid EHR Incentive Program is playing an important role in establishing critical health information technology designed to reduce costs, improve care and advance coordination across the healthcare platform, leading to better coordination, quality of care, and healthier lives. As of March 30, 2014, Iowa has approved payments to nearly 1497eligible professionals and hospitals with a total close to $ 98 million dollars in incentive payments.
|News and Announcements
- Health IT Wins Health Information Technology (IT) in our state is picking up speed; providers are upgrading Electronic Health Records (EHR) systems, Meaningful Use dollars are being paid out, and EHR data are being exchanged via the Iowa Health Information Network or in other secure ways to improve patient outcomes. The Iowa Medicaid Enterprise (IME), in partnership with the Iowa Department of Public Health (IDPH), will regularly share the important progress being made in Iowa through the “Health IT Wins” recurring emails. Please look for these promotions to see what you can learn and apply from these local success stories. Or if you’d like to have your own health IT success story highlighted, reach out to the IDPH at firstname.lastname@example.org or the IME at email@example.com.
- Iowa Medicaid Electronic Health Record (EHR) Incentive attestation deadline for dually eligible hospitals and Critical Access Hosptials (CAHs) has been extended to December 31, 2014: The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) extended the deadline for eligible hospitals and CAHs to attest to meaningful use for the Medicare EHR Incentive Program 2014 reporting year from 11:59 pm EST on November 30, 2014 to 11:59 pm EST on December 31, 2014. This extension will allow more time for hospitals to submit their meaningful use data and receive an incentive payment for the 2014 program year, as well as avoid the 2016 Medicare payment adjustment. In an effort to align with CMS, the Iowa Medicaid Enterprise (IME) has extended the Medicaid attestation deadline for dually eligible hospitals and CAHs to December 31, 2014.
- Learn More about the Protect Electronic Health Information Core Objective: If you are a provider participating in the EHR Incentive Programs, conducting or reviewing a security risk analysis is required to meet Stage 1 and Stage 2 of meaningful use. This meaningful use objective complements, but does not impose new or expanded requirements on the HIPAA Security Rule. Read more.
- CMS issues final rule on CEHRT: CMS issued the final rule on use of certified electronic health record technology (CEHRT). Iowa Medicaid will update its Provider Incentive Payment Portal (PIPP) to accept attestations compliant with final rule. Read more. (September 2014)
Applying to the Iowa State Medicaid HIT/EHR Incentive Program:
Program Information and Additional Resources:
- Introduction to the Medicaid HIT/EHR Incentive Program for Eligible Professionals Guide
This guide is now available at the CMS EHR Incentive Program website. This guide provides a one-stop shop for EPs, covering eligibility, registration, incentive payment, AIU, meaningful use, CQMs, and other Medicaid EHR Incentive Program subtopics.
- Iowa HIT/EHR Program FAQ Sheet
Answers to the most frequently asked HIT/EHR Incentive Program questions from Iowa Medicaid.
- CMS HIT/EHR Incentive Program
The official Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services website for the CMS EHR Incentive Programs
- List of Certified HIT/EHR Technology
The most current list of certified EHR technologies from the Office of the National Coordinator
- CMS Frequently Asked Questions
Answers to the most frequently asked HIT/EHR Incentive Program questions from CMS.
- Iowa State Medicaid HIT/EHR Plan (SMHP)
IME's SMHP serves as IME's strategic HIT planning document. IME expects that medical advances, HIT advances, federal and state legislation, and provider needs evolve. Therefore, IME will revise the SMHP on an annual basis to show a rolling five-year vision of HIT needs within Iowa. This annual revision cycle aligns the needs of IME's members, provider network, and HIT investments.
- Hospital Incentive Payment Calculator
Comments or Questions:
Medicaid providers interested in learning more about the incentive payments, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call Tanya McAninch, Medicaid HIT Provider Incentive Coordinator at 515-974-3123.
To subscribe to this page's updates, please Log In.