Iowa state Medicaid EHR Incentive Program is playing an important role in establishing critical health information technology designed to reduce costs, improve care and advance coordination across the healthcare platform, leading to better coordination, quality of care, and healthier lives. As of March 9, 2015, Iowa has approved 2,880 payments to eligible professionals and hospitals with a total of over $117 million dollars in incentive payments.
|News and Announcements
Iowa e-Health Summit 2015: Register now for the 11th Annual Iowa e-Health Summit. This year’s summit theme is “Blue Ribbon Healthcare” and will highlight the current status and future vision for Iowa's e-health initiatives to support a transformed healthcare system aligned with the triple aim of better care for individuals, better health for populations, and lower per capita costs. The summit will feature several high-profile speakers including a keynote address by Dr. Michael Barr of the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) and Paul Klintworth of the Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC). The Iowa e-Health Summit is sponsored by Telligen, Iowa e-Health, and the Iowa Medicaid Enterprise. Read the event brochure. Register for the summit. For more information, please email email@example.com.
Electronic Health Record (EHR) Survey: The Iowa Medicaid Enterprise (IME) will be conducting an environmental scan through an electronic survey in Spring 2015. The purpose of this survey is to gauge EHR and interoperability adoption in Iowa at an organizational level. The IME will soon be reaching out to those who have received at least one EHR incentive payment and are actively enrolled in the Medicaid program. Your participation in this survey is greatly appreciated.
Medicaid Electronic Health Record (EHR) Incentive Program Attestation Guideline for 2015: The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) recently released a proposed rule change that would impact the guidelines by which providers attest to receive Meaningful Use (MU) Incentives for 2015. At this time, the Iowa Medicaid Enterprise (IME) is capable of accepting 2015 EHR Incentive attestations from eligible providers for Adapt, Implement, Upgrade (AIU) & MU Stage 1, 90 day reporting period as outlined in the original federal rule so long as the provider is able to attest to the current MU guidelines. Once CMS has finalized the proposed changes the IME will need to make system modifications to comply with the new federal guidelines prior to accepting the remainder of the 2015 attestations. It is anticipated that the IME will begin accepting attestations under the new finalized guidelines after January 1, 2016.
More information on the proposed rule changes can be found at the links below:
- Health IT Wins Health Information Technology (IT) in our state is picking up speed; providers are upgrading Electronic Health Records (EHR) systems, Meaningful Use dollars are being paid out, and EHR data are being exchanged via the Iowa Health Information Network or in other secure ways to improve patient outcomes. The Iowa Medicaid Enterprise (IME), in partnership with the Iowa Department of Public Health (IDPH), will regularly share the important progress being made in Iowa through the “Health IT Wins” recurring emails. Please look for these promotions to see what you can learn and apply from these local success stories. Or if you’d like to have your own health IT success story highlighted, reach out to the IDPH at firstname.lastname@example.org or the IME at email@example.com.
Read previous editions of "Health IT Wins".
- Learn More about the Protect Electronic Health Information Core Objective: If you are a provider participating in the EHR Incentive Programs, conducting or reviewing a security risk analysis is required to meet Stage 1 and Stage 2 of meaningful use. This meaningful use objective complements, but does not impose new or expanded requirements on the HIPAA Security Rule. Read more.
Applying to the Iowa State Medicaid HIT/EHR Incentive Program:
Program Information and Additional Resources:
- Introduction to the Medicaid HIT/EHR Incentive Program for Eligible Professionals Guide
This guide is now available at the CMS EHR Incentive Program website. This guide provides a one-stop shop for EPs, covering eligibility, registration, incentive payment, AIU, meaningful use, CQMs, and other Medicaid EHR Incentive Program subtopics.
- Iowa HIT/EHR Program FAQ Sheet
Answers to the most frequently asked HIT/EHR Incentive Program questions from Iowa Medicaid.
- CMS HIT/EHR Incentive Program
The official Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services website for the CMS EHR Incentive Programs
- List of Certified HIT/EHR Technology
The most current list of certified EHR technologies from the Office of the National Coordinator
- CMS Frequently Asked Questions
Answers to the most frequently asked HIT/EHR Incentive Program questions from CMS.
- Iowa State Medicaid HIT/EHR Plan (SMHP)
IME's SMHP serves as IME's strategic HIT planning document. IME expects that medical advances, HIT advances, federal and state legislation, and provider needs evolve. Therefore, IME will revise the SMHP on an annual basis to show a rolling five-year vision of HIT needs within Iowa. This annual revision cycle aligns the needs of IME's members, provider network, and HIT investments.
- Hospital Incentive Payment Calculator
- Previous editions of the newsletter, "Health IT Wins"
Comments or Questions:
Medicaid providers interested in learning more about the incentive payments, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call Tanya McAninch, Medicaid HIT Provider Incentive Coordinator at 515-974-3123.
To subscribe to this page's updates, please Log In.