Iowa state Medicaid EHR Incentive Program is playing an important role in establishing critical health information technology designed to reduce costs, improve care and advance coordination across the healthcare platform, leading to better coordination, quality of care, and healthier lives. As of September 1, 2015, Iowa has approved 3,558 payments to eligible professionals and hospitals with a total of over $124.2 million dollars in incentive payments.
|News and Announcements
Medicaid Electronic Health Record (EHR) Incentive Program Attestation Guideline for 2015: The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) has released a final rule change that impacts the guidelines by which providers attest to receive Meaningful Use (MU) Incentives for 2015. At this time, the Iowa Medicaid Enterprise (IME) will not be accepting any 2015 attestations until further notice. The IME is making system modifications to comply with the new federal guidelines prior to accepting the remainder of the 2015 attestations. It is anticipated that the IME will begin accepting attestations under the new finalized guidelines after January 1, 2016.
More information on the rule changes can be found at the links below:
Electronic Health Record (EHR) Survey: The Iowa Medicaid Enterprise (IME) is conducting an environmental scan through an electronic survey in Summer 2015. The purpose of this survey is to gauge EHR and interoperability adoption in Iowa at an organizational level. The IME has reached out to those who have received at least one EHR incentive payment and are actively enrolled in the Medicaid program. Your participation in this survey is greatly appreciated.
- Health IT Wins Health Information Technology (IT) in our state is picking up speed; providers are upgrading Electronic Health Records (EHR) systems, Meaningful Use dollars are being paid out, and EHR data are being exchanged via the Iowa Health Information Network or in other secure ways to improve patient outcomes. The Iowa Medicaid Enterprise (IME), in partnership with the Iowa Department of Public Health (IDPH), will regularly share the important progress being made in Iowa through the “Health IT Wins” recurring emails. Please look for these promotions to see what you can learn and apply from these local success stories. Or if you’d like to have your own health IT success story highlighted, reach out to the IDPH at firstname.lastname@example.org or the IME at email@example.com.
Read previous editions of "Health IT Wins".
- Learn More about the Protect Electronic Health Information Core Objective: If you are a provider participating in the EHR Incentive Programs, conducting or reviewing a security risk analysis is required to meet Stage 1 and Stage 2 of meaningful use. This meaningful use objective complements, but does not impose new or expanded requirements on the HIPAA Security Rule. Read more.
Applying to the Iowa State Medicaid HIT/EHR Incentive Program:
Program Information and Additional Resources:
- Introduction to the Medicaid HIT/EHR Incentive Program for Eligible Professionals Guide
This guide is now available at the CMS EHR Incentive Program website. This guide provides a one-stop shop for EPs, covering eligibility, registration, incentive payment, AIU, meaningful use, CQMs, and other Medicaid EHR Incentive Program subtopics.
- Iowa HIT/EHR Program FAQ Sheet
Answers to the most frequently asked HIT/EHR Incentive Program questions from Iowa Medicaid.
- CMS HIT/EHR Incentive Program
The official Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services website for the CMS EHR Incentive Programs
- List of Certified HIT/EHR Technology
The most current list of certified EHR technologies from the Office of the National Coordinator
- CMS Frequently Asked Questions
Answers to the most frequently asked HIT/EHR Incentive Program questions from CMS.
- Iowa State Medicaid HIT/EHR Plan (SMHP)
IME's SMHP serves as IME's strategic HIT planning document. IME expects that medical advances, HIT advances, federal and state legislation, and provider needs evolve. Therefore, IME will revise the SMHP on an annual basis to show a rolling five-year vision of HIT needs within Iowa. This annual revision cycle aligns the needs of IME's members, provider network, and HIT investments.
- Hospital Incentive Payment Calculator
- Previous editions of the newsletter, "Health IT Wins"
Comments or Questions:
Medicaid providers interested in learning more about the incentive payments, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call Tanya McAninch, Medicaid HIT Provider Incentive Coordinator at 515-974-3123.
To subscribe to this page's updates, please Log In.