More information and resources are available at on the Child Support Recovery Unit website (www.childsupport.ia.gov ).
What services does CSRU provide?
Child Support Recovery Unit (CSRU) is responsible for assisting families to achieve and maintain economic self-sufficiency by establishing and enforcing child and medical support orders and processing support payments. Services provided by CSRU include:
- Locating parents and their employers or other income sources
- Establishing paternity
- Establishing support orders
- Suspending and reinstating support orders
- Modifying support orders
- Registering other states’ orders for enforcement or modification in Iowa
- Sending and receiving referrals for services to and from other states
- Enforcing support orders through:
- Income withholding
- Offsets of federal and state tax refunds
- Offsets of payments owed to federal and state vendors who do business with government agencies
- Administrative levies of accounts at financial institutions
- License sanctions
- Reports to credit agencies
- Referrals to the U.S. Attorney for felony prosecution
- Contempt of court action
- Garnishment actions
- Enforcing health insurance orders through a payor’s employer
- Receiving and disbursing child support and medical support payments
- Answering customers’ questions and concerns
CSRU uses a variety of methods to enforce support orders, including:
- Directing employers to withhold a portion of wages
- Intercepting federal and state tax refunds
- Taking money from accounts or financial institutions
- Restricting the issuance of drivers, professional and recreational licenses, motor vehicle registrations, and passports
- Making referrals to credit reporting agencies
- Obtaining contempt of court orders against delinquent payors
How can I apply for services from the CSRU?
To get an application, visit the Child Support Recovery Unit website and access the “Forms” tab at the top of the home page.
- Print the application form named, Applying for Services
- Complete the application form
- Send the application form with your $25 application fee to your local CSRU office
- To find the mailing address of the office closest to you:
- On the website’s home page, click on the “Contact Us” tab
- Click on the link for “Local CSRU Offices”
- When the map displays, click on the county in which you live
- The office’s location displays, along with the mailing address
- You may also call the child support automated telephone information line at 1-888-229-9223 (toll free nationwide).
What are my options to make payments?
If you choose to make non-IWO (income withholding) payments to the Collection Services Center (CSC), you may:
Collections Services Center
P.O. Box 9125
Des Moines, Iowa 50306-9125
- Mail a check or money order, including your case number, to:
- Set up automatic withdrawal from your bank account or sign up to make payments by web/phone. Forms to sign up to make payments electronically (auto withdrawal or pay by web/phone) are available on the Child Support Recovery Unit website .
- Make payments using debit or credit cards on the child support website on the Child Support Recovery Unit website .
- Make payments (including cash) at any CSRU office. To find the location of all CSRU offices you may go to the Child Support Recovery Unit website and click on contact us.
Note: Always remember to include your CSC account number on your payment.
Whom should I contact for answers about child support?
You may use several methods to get information about child support in general or about their specific case.
Visit the Child Support Recovery Unit website .
- Click on the “Help” tab on the home page
- Click on the link to “General FAQ” or “Modification FAQ” for answers to questions
- Click on the “Resource” tab for information about Child Support
- An automated telephone information line is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You can get information by calling 1-888-229-9223 (toll free nationwide).
Structure of the Child Support Recovery Unit:
The Child Support Recovery Unit has 23 offices throughout the state, organized into 4 regions, which establish and enforce child support.
The Employers Partnering in Child Support (EPICS) unit connects the employer community to the Child Support Recovery Unit. EPICS serves as a single point of contact for employers to get answers to questions about their responsibilities in:
- Withholding child support and medical support payments through income withholding
- Enforcing health insurance
- Enforcing license sanctions
- Reporting new hires, rehires and terminations
The automated telephone information line (IVR) provides information about our services, including payment information. Call 1-888-229-9223 (toll free nationwide) 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
The Collection Services Center receives and distributes child support payments. It operates as Iowa's State Disbursement Unit (SDU). The address for sending payments:
Collection Services Center
PO Box 9125
Des Moines, IA 50306-9125
Statistics for the state fiscal year 2015:
- Total caseload: 172,432 cases
- Percentage of cases with court orders: 90.48%
- Total collections: $323.6 million
To subscribe to this page's updates, please Log In .