IOWA CHILD AND FAMILY SERVICE REVIEW
Congress requires the federal government to conduct reviews of states to determine if they meet federal child welfare requirements. The Child and Family Service Review (CFSR)
, is a partnership between the federal and state governments. The CFSR examines the child welfare system in the state and identifies the strengths and areas needing improvement. The ultimate goal of the review is to improve child welfare systems to achieve the following positive outcomes for children and families:
- Children are, first and foremost, protected from abuse and neglect.
- Children are maintained safely in their homes whenever possible and appropriate.
- Children have permanency and stability in their living situations.
- The continuity of family relationships and connections is preserved for families.
Family and Child Well-Being
- Families have enhanced capacity to provide for their childrens needs.
- Children receive appropriate services to meet their educational needs.
- Children receive adequate services to meet their physical and mental health needs.
In 2010 Iowa completed the second round of the CFSR. Iowa, like all other states, did not pass the review. Review results indicated Iowa needs to improve its child welfare system and to implement a Program Improvement Plan (PIP). Iowas PIP contains strategies and action steps that Iowa believes will improve our child welfare system. The PIP became effective October 1, 2011 and will continue for two years through September 30, 2013.
Below are documents related to Iowas CFSR:
Addressing Disproportionate Minority Challenges in the Child Welfare System through Cultural and Linguistic Responsiveness:
An Annual Assessment of Opportunities and Barriers within IowaAnnual_Report.pdf
Program Improvement Plan - Quarters 9 - 11
Executive Summary of Iowa's 8th Quarter PIP Report
Executive Summary of Iowa's 7th Quarter PIP Report
Executive Summary of Iowa's 6th Quarter PIP Report
If you have questions or comments regarding Iowas Child and Family Service Review (CFSR) or Iowas Program Improvement Plan (PIP), please contact Kara Lynn Regula at email@example.com