Provider Record Checks for Child Care

Those persons employed, residing in a licensed child care center, child development home, or non-registered child care home that receives child care assistance funding must complete required record checks.

The Iowa Child Care Resource and Referral staff is able to assist with your fingerprinting needs as a child care provider free of charge. To learn more, please contact a CCR&R staff nearest you by viewing the contact information at

Click Out of State Requests for State Agencies Seeking Child Abuse and Criminal Information in Iowa - Child Care for additional information for State Agencies or those contracted with the State Agency to provide this service requesting registry checks of child care providers.

DHS covers record check fees for all Child Development Homes and child care homes with a Child Care Assistance Provider Agreement.
In November 2020, DHS began covering the cost of national record checks completed by the FBI via fingerprints for licensed child care center employees (and volunteers, as applicable) hired on or after March 16, 2020. Any rolling fees that may be associated by a local agency providing this service will not be the responsibility of DHS.
Appropriate record check guides for licensed child care centers have been updated and are located here:

Who needs a record check?

  • A person who is being considered for licensure or registration
  • A  person is being considered for employment and will have direct responsibility for a child or access to a child when alone
  • A person who will reside in a child care facility or non-registered child care home that receives or has applied to receive public funding to provide child care
  • A person who has applied for or receives public funding for providing child care

What record checks are completed?

  • Criminal and child abuse record checks in Iowa every 2 years
  • Iowa Sex Offender Registry and Dependent Adult Abuse records are also reviewed every 2 years
  • National fingerprint background check every 4 years

What if a person has a record?

  • If a person has a transgression, a record check evaluation must be completed.
  • A transgression is any of the following:
    • Conviction of a crime
    • Record of founded child or dependent adult abuse
    • Is on the sex offender registry
    • Has committed a public or civil offense
    • The person has had a revocation of a child care registration or license as a result of continued or repeated failure to operate in compliance

What is an evaluation?

  • In an evaluation, the Department must consider:
    • The type and seriousness of the transgression
    • Time passed since the transgression
    • The circumstances under which the transgression was committed
    • The degree of rehabilitation
    • The likelihood that the person will commit the transgression again
    • The number of transgressions committed by the person involved.

Who is not allowed to be involved in child care?

  • Any person that has a record of founded child or dependent adult abuse that was determined to be sexual abuse
  • Any person required to be listed on any state or the national sex offender registry
  • Has committed the following felony offenses:
    • Child endangerment or neglect or abandonment of a dependent person’
    • Domestic abuse
    • A crime against a child including but not limited to sexual exploitation of a minor
    • A forcible felony
    • Arson
  • Has a record of a misdemeanor conviction against a child under the following offenses: 
    • Child abuse
    • Child endangerment
    • Sexual assault
    • Child pornography
  • Any person subject to a record check refuses to content to a record check.
  • If a person convicted of a crime makes what the person knows to be a false statement of fact in connection to a conviction.
  • The following have a 5 year prohibition:
    • Convicted of a controlled substance offense
    • Found to have committed physical abuse
  • The department has the authority to determine if a person shall be prohibited from child care through completing an evaluation.  If a person is prohibited, they may not be involved unless a new record check is completed and they are approved.