General Hawki Frequently Asked Questions

My kids are on Hawki, and I need coverage for myself. Can I apply?

No, Hawki is only for children under age 19. If you are age 19 or older, you may be eligible for Medicaid coverage.


What does Hawki cost? 

The amount you pay for your child’s coverage in the Hawki program is based on your family's income. Some families pay between $10 and $40 a month for their Hawki coverage. And depending on your family income level, some families may even pay nothing at all. No family pays more than $40 a month, even if the family has several children who qualify for Hawki.

Note: If you are a Native American or Alaska Native, please read additional information in the American Indian and Alaska Native Program web page.


How can I find out if my family will have to pay? 

Fill out an application or call Hawki if you think your children may qualify. The Hawki program rates are reflected in the Hawki income limits table.


My child needs a prescription medication and sees a certain doctor. Can you tell me if these will be covered under Hawki?

To find out what medications are covered and which providers participate, please contact the health plans. See Hawki health plans.


I'm pregnant. Can I get coverage for my unborn child?

No, Hawki does not cover unborn children. If you are under the age of 19, you may be able to get Hawki coverage for yourself. If you are age 19 or older, you may be eligible under the Medicaid program.


Can my children get Hawki even if I own my home or a car?

Yes, if your children qualify and your family income is within the Hawki income limits. See the Hawki income limits table.


My friend applied to Hawki for her children. She was told her children had to have Medicaid. What happened?

Federal law requires that we check all applications to see if the income of the children's family fits Medicaid income limits, which are lower than the Hawki limits. If they do, those children can have Medicaid, but not Hawki.


What's the difference between Medicaid and Hawki services?

Medicaid allows children to have more health services, and for a longer time (up to age 21, or as long as the child qualifies). 

Hawki services are limited and Hawki only covers children under age 19. Find more information on Hawki services on the Benefits webpage.


I was recently denied Medicaid coverage, can I apply for Hawki?

Please contact your caseworker. If you were denied Medicaid coverage because you were over income, they can refer your application to the Hawki program. The Hawki program is only for children who are over income for the Medicaid program. If you were denied Medicaid for some other reason, you may need to reapply for the Medicaid program.


Where will I take my child for health care if she gets Hawki?

You must choose one of the health plans that serve Hawki children. See Hawki health plans.


How can I find out more about the Hawki health plans?

If your child qualifies, the Hawki program will send you information about all the health plans. You can also call the health plans directly. See Hawki health plans.


I have 5 children. How much will I have to pay?

It depends on your income. You may pay nothing, or you may have to pay up to $40 each month if your children qualify. Find out more about costs.


Are there co-payments for Hawki services?

Most of the time there are no co-payments. But if you take your child to the emergency room when it is not an emergency, you will be charged a co-payment of $25.


What is a real emergency?

  • An emergency means that you think the child's condition or injury is life-threatening, or that the child would be harmed without immediate medical care.
  • Do not take the child to the emergency room for routine care.


How and when can I find out if my child can get Hawki?

Fill out an application, sign it, attach proof of income and mail the application to Hawki. You will find out if your children qualify usually within two weeks after we get your complete application.


What is a complete application?

A complete application is a signed application, with all the questions answered correctly and all necessary proof of income attached.


What do I need to send as proof of income?

  • Income from a job: Send copies of all pay stubs for the last 30 days.  If you do not have pay stubs or if you have a new job, we can take a signed statement from your employer verifying your pay.
  • Income from self-employment: Send a copy of your most recent tax return (include Schedule C or F). If your self-employment business is new or your earnings are not the same as what is on your tax return, send a copy of the most recent business records; tell us what has changed.
  • Unearned Income (such as child support, social security, benefits, VA benefits, unemployment insurance, etc.): Send a copy of the award letter, divorce decree, or other proof that shows how much you get.
IMPORTANT:  Make sure to tell us if the income is going to change. For example, tell us if your last 30 days pay checks show that you worked more overtime than usual. If you work only part of the year, such as construction worker or school teacher, tell us how much you earn for the entire year.


Should I send copies or originals?

Do not send original documents. Only send copies of documents.


I submitted an application. How can I check on the status of my application?

Please call Hawki Member Services at 1-800-257-8563 to check on your application. We cannot provide case-specific information online or over email due to HIPAA regulations.


Where can I get a Hawki application?


Where do I send my application?

Applications can be mailed or faxed any time to:
Imaging Center 4
PO Box 2027
Cedar Rapids, IA 52406
Fax: 1-877-457-7701 or 1-515-457-7701


I live in Nebraska? Can my kids still qualify for Hawki?

No, Hawki is only for children residing in Iowa. To find a similar program in your state, please visit


If my child(ren) gain medical insurance during their Hawki enrollment year, will my coverage be affected?

Yes, health insurance is not allowed while a child is enrolled in the Hawki program. You need to report the health insurance as soon as the child is enrolled in it.


Do I need to report the child support / social security income my child(ren) receive?

Yes, all income received by children, parents, and stepparents residing in the household need to be reported and verified when you apply for Hawki.


I am court ordered to provide insurance for my children, can I apply for the Hawki program?

If your children live in your household 50% or more of the time, you may apply for the Hawki program. If they do not live with you, the primary custodial parent should apply.


My children were cancelled for failure to provide a premium payment, can I be reinstated?

Please call the Hawki Member Services at 1-800-257-8563 for information on reinstatement grace periods.


How do I pay for my child’s Hawki coverage?   

Your Hawki premium can be mailed (see below) or paid online using a tool called ClickPay. Please go to the ClickPay web page to learn more about how to pay your Hawki premium(s) online.


Where can I mail my premium payment to?

You can send your payment to:
Hawki Program
P.O. Box 851
Des Moines, IA 50304


I have a question about my Hawki premium statement. Who should I contact?

Please call Hawki Member Services at 1-800-257-8563 to answer your questions.


My neighbor speaks a foreign language that I have never heard. How can she apply for Hawki?

She can call Hawki Member Services at 1-800-257-8563 and the person who answers will talk to her using a special translation service.


I am a provider, and I have a question about billing procedures.

Please contact the health plans directly. See Hawki health plans.



Hawki Member Services (Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
1-800-257-8563 (Toll Free)
For telephone accessibility assistance if you are deaf, hard-of-hearing, deaf-blind, or have difficulty speaking, call Relay Iowa TTY at 1-800-735-2942.
Llame al 1-800-735-2942, a Relay Iowa TTY (teléfono de texto para personas con problemas de audición, del habla y ceguera) si necesita asistencia telefónicamente.