How to Apply

You can download the necessary forms to apply for the QRS from this website.  For assistance in completing the forms, contact your QRS Child Care Consultant who may be found at

When your application is complete, mail it to your QRS Child Care Consultant for review.  The QRS Child Care Consultant will submit your application to the Department of Human Services Central Office. DHS will make the determination of your rating and issue your certificate.

Iowa Quality Rating System

Welcome to Iowa's Quality Rating System (QRS), a voluntary child care rating system for child development homes, licensed child care centers and preschools, and Child care programs that are operated by school districts.

Frequently Asked Questions

If you are in any of the Fee-for-Service (FFS) programs, the information below is relevant to you. If you are looking for information regarding the IA Health Link program, access the IA Health Link Frequently Asked Questions.

State Supplementary Assistance

State Supplementary Assistance (SSA) is a fully state-funded program that was designed to meet the additional special needs of aged, blind, and disabled people not met by the standard benefit rate paid by Supplemental Security Income (SSI). Iowa's SSA program covers 6 categories of special needs:

Smoking Cessation Program

Want help with quitting the use of tobacco products and smoking? Medicaid members who are age 18 and over can get the help they need free of charge!

Medicare Savings Program

Medicaid is a joint Federal and State program that helps pay medical costs for individuals with limited income and resources. Individuals with Medicare Part A and/or Part B, who have limited income and resources, may get help paying for their out-of-pocket medical expenses from their State Medicaid Program.

Medically Needy (also known as the "spenddown program")

If your income is too high for Medicaid but your medical costs are so high that it uses up most of your income, you may qualify for some payment help through the Medically Needy plan. If you qualify you are responsible for paying some of the costs of your medical expenses.

HCBS Waiver Provider Contacts

Persons wishing to enroll for services should contact the local DHS offices in the county where the enrollee resides.